02 March 2023 SIT Training Package Update
Training.gov.au announced on 2 March 2023 the latest SIT (Tourism, Travel, and Hospitality) Training Package update on the assessment requirements for Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) units, SITHFAB002 and SITHFAB021 as revised by the Commonwealth Department of Employment and Workplace Relations, following concerns raised by stakeholders.
The latest Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol unit changes, effective immediately via a minor release process, aim to enhance the assessment standards and promote inclusivity and cultural sensitivity in alcohol service training.
SITHFAB002 and SITHFAB021 – Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol Unit of Competency Training Update
The revised assessment requirements for SITHFAB002 and SITHFAB021 units have removed specific references to the impact of excessive drinking on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. These references were highlighted as a concern by stakeholders who felt they were inappropriate and potentially discriminatory.
Note that the training updates made to the assessment requirements do not affect the overall learning outcomes or competency standards for these units. Instead, they aim to create a more inclusive and culturally sensitive learning environment for all students.
SITHFAB021 – Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol, published on 2 March 2023 via training.gov.au, superseded and is equivalent to SITHFAB002 – Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol without change to workplace outcomes.
SITHFAB021 Unit of Competency
The updated SITHFAB021 unit aims to educate individuals on the responsible practices for selling, serving, or supplying alcohol in various settings, including hospitality venues, packaged liquor outlets, wineries, breweries, and distilleries. The focus is on ensuring that all personnel involved in the sale, service, and supply of alcohol, including promotional services and product tastings, do so responsibly.
The unit training update applies to individuals at all employment levels, including food and beverage attendants, packaged liquor salespersons, cellar door staff, delivery services, supplier sales representatives, security staff, and licensees responsible for RSA management.
The knowledge requirements outlined in this unit are under state and territory liquor licensing laws. Certification requirements vary between states and territories, and in some cases, all personnel involved in alcohol sales and service, including security staff and licensees, must be certified in this unit.
While the RSA skill and knowledge requirements covered in this unit are common to all states and territories, legislative requirements and knowledge may differ across borders. In such cases, state and territory liquor authorities may require individuals to complete a bridging course after completing this unit to address specific differences.
Developers of training programs for this unit must consult with relevant state or territory liquor licensing authorities to determine accreditation arrangements for courses, trainers, and assessors.
Qualifications that include the SITHFAB021 Unit of Competency are:
- AVI30219 – Certificate III in Aviation (Cabin Crew)
- SIT40422 – Certificate IV in Hospitality
- TLI22321 – Certificate II in Rail Customer Service
- SIT40821 – Certificate IV in Asian Cookery
- SIT50422 – Diploma of Hospitality Management
- SIT30522 – Certificate III in Events
- SIT30722 – Certificate III in Hospitality (Restaurant Front of House)
- SIT30622 – Certificate III in Hospitality
- SIT30122 – Certificate III in Tourism
- SIT60322 – Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
The latest SIT training package update includes changes to six skill sets.
Here are the skill sets comprising the SITHFAB021 unit:
|Updated Skill Set||Superseded Skill Set||Equivalency|
|SITSS00071 – Responsible service of alcohol, Responsible service of alcohol||SITSS00055 – Responsible Service of Alcohol||Equivalent|
|SITSS00070 – Hospitality Compliance Skill Set, Hospitality Compliance Skill Set||SITSS00052 – Hospitality Compliance||Equivalent|
|SITSS00082 – Essential Business Skills for a Restaurant Manager||SITSS00047 – Essential Business Skills for a Restaurant Manager||Equivalent|
|SITSS00075 – Beverage Advice||SITSS00046 – Beverage Advice||Equivalent|
|SITSS00094 – Sommelier||SITSS00056 – Sommelier||Equivalent|
|SITSS00083 – Food Advice||SITSS00049 – Food Advice||Equivalent|
What the Latest SIT Training Package Updates Mean for RTOs
As an RTO offering training for Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol SITHFAB002 and its replacement unit SITHFAB021, consider these suggestions:
- Note the changes to the assessment requirements for Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol SITHFAB002 and its replacement unit SITHFAB021.
- Remove references to the impact of excessive drinking on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- Review your training and assessment strategies and resources for these units.
- Update learning materials, assessment tools, and delivery methods to reflect the updated assessment requirements.
- Ensure that trainers and assessors know these changes and can deliver training and assessments accordingly.
- Secure premium-quality RTO training materials from Australia’s leading providers.
- Ensure that any previously issued statements of attainment for these units accurately reflect the updated assessment requirements.
- Communicate these changes to your students and ensure they understand the updated assessment requirements for these units.
The decision of the Commonwealth Department of Employment and Workplace Relations to revise the assessment requirements for the Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol units represents a positive step towards promoting cultural sensitivity and inclusivity in the education and training sector. RTOs must comply with the SIT training package update on the RSA unit assessment requirements to ensure their students receive the best education and training.
For more VET updates, sign up for our newsletter now!